Home           About           Contact Info/Donate           MHS Hall of Fame           Advisory Committee

Academic/Professional           Athletic           Service to SMCS           Nominations           Inductees

Alumni Hall of Fame
Service to St. Marys City Schools (2014)

Charles C. McBroom

Charles Curtis “C.C.” McBroom, was a graduate of St. Marys High School circa 1891. He distinguished himself with an unprecedented and since-unmatched career as a teacher, principal and superintendent of the St. Marys City Schools, a career that began in 1895 and did not end until his death in 1945, at age 71, during his 50th year of service.

His influence on the students of St. Marys did not end with his death. In 1951, the Board of Education voted unanimously to name the proposed addition to the Memorial High School complex in Mr. McBroom's honor, and “McBroom School,” including nine classrooms, a 1300-seat gymnasium and a cafeteria, was constructed in 1952. McBroom School exceeded its namesake by serving the community for 58 years. In this way, C.C. McBroom had a direct influence on the education of St. Marys students for a total of 108 years, a span of service that defies challenge.

Charles C. McBroom was born in Mercer County on June 4, 1873. After graduating from St. Marys High School, he completed his post-secondary education at Miami University. He came back to St. Marys to teach fourth grade in 1895 at age 22, and taught at nearly every class level until he was appointed Principal of East School in 1902. He began his 38-year career as Superintendent in 1907.

C.C. McBroom was responsible for many expansions and improvements to the St. Marys City Schools thoughout his tenure. During World War I, the First Ward School was built at the corner of Hendricks and Derrick Streets, and Bunker Hill School was built at the corner of Indiana Avenue and Wayne Street, both circa 1915. In 1923, construction began on Memorial High School on South Street. The former St. Marys High School at the corner of Spring and Wayne Streets became West Elementary School upon the opening of Memorial High School. Bunker Hill School operated through eight decades. The 1923 Memorial High School was occupied until 2010.

Mr. McBroom was a hands-on educator and disciplinarian. As Superintendent he often visited classrooms, verbally quizzed the students on spelling and arithmetic, and listened to them read. He personally made out the mid-term and final exams for teachers to administer. His presence struck awe into student and teacher alike, yet he was affectionately known throughout the community by his nickname “Sandy.”

C.C. McBroom was more than an authority figure, he was also a community leader. Mr. McBroom served as Chairman of the West Auglaize Chapter of the American Red Cross and Chairman of the Community Public Library Board. He served on the Board of Directors of the Methodist Church and was a Sunday School teacher for decades. He helped organize the local Rotary Club as a Charter Member. He was a member of the Masonic Order, the Knights of Pythias, the Maccabee Lodge and the Odd Fellows. He was an executive officer of the Ohio Teachers Association.

Charles C. McBroom was married twice: in 1904 to Blanche (née) Blood, who passed away in 1926; and in 1927 to Edith Heinrich (née) Orphal, who died in 1974. He had one child with Edith, a son named Charles Robert McBroom.

For 50 years of devoted and indispensible leadership in a career that resonated long after his death, Mr. Charles C. McBroom is hereby inducted into the St. Marys Memorial High School Alumni Foundation Hall of Fame, for distinguished Service to St. Marys City Schools.


The above text, in its entirety, is embossed on a St. Marys Memorial High School Alumni Hall of Fame plaque permanently on display in Memorial High School.
Charles C. McBroom
Superintendent of St. Marys City Schools Mr. Shawn Brown spoke on behalf of Memorial High School Alumni Foundation Service to St. Marys City Schools Hall of Fame Inductee, the late Mr. Charles C. McBroom, on Oct. 18, 2014, at St. Marys Eagles Lodge.

Copyright St. Marys MHS Alumni Foundation